Welcome to Study in Sweden with Nordic Student Service
Study & Work

All students visa holder are allowed to work during their studies without a working permit.
If you have received a job offer after you have finished your studies, you are allowed to stay in Sweden to work.
More information about working in Sweden if you are non EU/EEA citizen can be found at www.workinginsweden.se


The public transportation is available almost everywhere in Sweden and the system is excellent, it provides a convenient, fast way to get around. Students have discounts for buses, trams, trains etc.

Social Life

Student Union can be found at all universities in Sweden, it is formed to represent the social and academic interests of their member.
Student Unions have long been a media for new students also offer many kind of service. There is called host or mentor program, in which new students that are already enrolled at university, will have a mentor to help you and introduce you to the city around and the campus around, although there is also always an introduction moment from the university for all international students that just start.
Your options for leisure and activities will depend on where you study in Sweden. In any city you live there are always outdoor activities. There is also sporting clubs and society organize a wide of range of activities on campus at most of universities. Taking part of these activities is probably the best way to meet new and more people.
Other natural meeting points are clubs and pubs around campus.

What are Swedes Like?

Swedes are generally held to be punctual, law abiding and respectful of law and regulations. For example, Smoking is not permitted in public places such as restaurants, banks, and post offices or in shops.
When Swedes wait for something they form queues or make lines. Queuing or line systems have been installed in many larger shops, banks and post offices.
At first, you may find Swedes a bit difficult to get to know. They may seem distant and reserved. But they can also make loyal friends once you get to know them. When you as a student are living in a dormitory, you have more opportunity to make friends, where there is access to various activities.

Some equality point of view

Sweden is a varied society with a history of international solidarity. A generous refugee policy has turned Sweden into a mixture various cultures; all world religions are representing in Sweden.
In most cities you can buy food from practically anywhere in the world, including Halal food can be found at certain places. Newspaper from many other countries in the world is also available.
Sweden is a tolerant, modern society that for many years has create a key priority to secure minority rights through legislation and in practice. The government had established the office of the Equality Ombudsman (DO), who’s the task, is to actively oppose unfair or offensive treatment on the grounds of race, skin, color, national or ethnic origin, religious faith, gender or sexual orientation.
All universities in Sweden provide some form of assistance to students with disabilities to pursue their studies, regardless of their handicap.

Living cost

Dinner at restaurants around SEK 100 – 150 (EUR 10 -15) drinks not included. Eating out at lunchtime is cheaper; expect to pay around SEK 55 – 85 for a meal including soft drink, salad and tea/coffee.
A monthly cost for food is around SEK 2,000, Accommodation: SEK 3,200, Local travel: SEK 500. Telephone/internet: SEK 300. Insurance, medical care and hygiene: SEL 250. Student union fee: SEK 60 – 70. Clothing, hobby/leisure & other: SEK 750
Total monthly cost: SEK 7,070 or about EUR 750.
The amount of SEK 7,300 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration board, if you bring your family, it additional cost SEK 3,000 per month for your spouse and SEK 1,800 per month per child.
That price is varying depending on where you live. Bigger cities are more expensive than smaller towns.
Though most students live on a tight budget. You can use your student card for discounts at certain restaurant including campus. You can also cook your own food; most student accommodation has usually kitchen facility that is open to residents.

Medical Insurance

If your study is longer than one year or more, you are entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes. However you must first register at your tax office and obtain a personal identity number as soon as you arrive.
The application procedure can take some time, but you will be fully covered if you need medical help during the time it takes to process your application.
However, this medical insurance does not cover your journey to Sweden or the time you spend in the country prior to applying for civil registration. Therefore, to be fully covered for that period, you will need some form of travel insurance.
For the student that study less than a year the Swedish university where you study may provide you with health insurance coverage in certain conditions.

Practical Stuff

- Residence permit
   If your study is longer than three months in Sweden, you will need a residence permit, it issued by the    
   Swedish Migration board. Applying should be made at a Swedish consulate or Embassy.
   The application is made after you receive an acceptance letter from the university.
   The residence permit application fee is 1.000 SEK, it is non refundable.
- Accommodation
   The availability of accommodation varies from city to city, certain universities have a guarantee for accommodation  
   and some others you have to apply and be on the waiting at the same time as you apply    for study, but there are
   alternatives. NORDIC Student Service will help you to find other alternatives if    needed.
- Ticket
   You can arrange your travel by yourself, booking through your travel agent or NORDIC Student Service will    be able
   to help you if needed.
- Transport from the airport to the students housing
   Some universities provide pick up transport at the airport or train station when you arrived the first time    to
   Sweden. It is better to have the confirmation for your apartment first before you leave your home    country.
- Currency
   In Sweden you use Swedish Kronor as the currency. The symbol is SEK; Bank notes are available in    denominations
   of 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000 kronor, coins in 1, 5 and 10. All major bank and credit cards    are widely accepted
   throughout Sweden.
-  Emergencies and SOS calls
   Dial 112 to contact police, fire brigade or medical services in case of emergency. The emergency calls are    free of
- Shopping hours
   Shopping in the central city generally open between 10 am and 6 pm on weekdays. The malls open usually    until 8
   p.m. Saturday open from 11 am until 4 p.m. and on Sundays the malls open between 12 noon until    4 pm, stores at
   the central city usually are closed on Sundays but Supermarkets are open every day, the    biggest one from 7 am
   until 10 pm every day.
- Telecommunication
   It is possible to use a phone from your home country with a Swedish SIM card. There are some Swedish    companies
   that sell SIM cards such as Telia, Tele2, Telenor, 3 and Halebop. Most international students in    Sweden choose to
   use skype as well.

(Source: www.studyinsweden.se)